October 14, 2008

yet another book signing at Powell's

In a state a high anticipation and fearing a repeat of the yarn harlot mob scene of June 2007, I arrived at the Mason-Dixon book signing early…very early…much too early. It was 6pm and there wasn’t even a chair set up yet and I was the only one in the Pearl room. The only one knitting anyway.

Into the room a lone woman walked. I looked up from my knitting and I asked her “Do I know you?” I thought I might know her from, you know, the Internet…ravelry or something. Well when she mentioned her blog, persistent illusion, I immediately knew it was Judy Becker, the inventor of Judy’s Magic Cast On. I was in the presence of true knitting royalty. And I’m here to tell you that Judy is just such a lovely lady. She is extremely friendly and helpful and informative not to mention a gifted knitter. I immediately felt like I had known her all my life.



judy's magic cast on, originally uploaded by alicethelma.

As we chatted away, the room began to fill and more knitting royalty arrived. Kay Gardiner and Ann Shayne, the authors of Mason Dixon Knitting, who arrived with everyone else, are two of the funniest, most down to earth and approachable knitting authors I have ever met.

Ann and Kay brought most of the yummy projects from the new book and talked about the book's genesis and creation. Great stories and tales of Famolares. Didn't know they still made them.



It’s hard to believe that these innocent looking women are the same ladies who sang the following country hit:


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice to meet you, too!

Don't forget to join the PDX Knitbloggers. Since you knit, and you blog, and you're around here, and all that. :-)

Kay said...

Ann was really cracking me up in that photo!

Great to meet you, and thanks for the Heavy Duty swag!

xo Kay