December 6, 2007

Homage to b r o o k l y n t w e e d


Hemlock blanket in progress, originally uploaded by alicethelma.

Now it may appear to some of you that many of my projects are knock offs from the brooklyntweed blogsite and I need to address this issue. IT’S TRUE! I confess that I’m a huge fan of the designs and creations of Jared Flood. I think he’s an absolute knitting (and photographic) genius. At one time I must have had four or five of his knitting projects on needles at the same time. I have managed to finish some of them:
1. the Cobblestone sweater of course,
2. the Log Cabin socks, two pairs, which I first saw on his blog
3. the Beaverslide scarf although I didn’t end up making it from Beaverslide

HOWEVER, I *am* stuck on the Hemlock Ring Blanket. To the uninitiated, this lap blanket is really an oversized vintage doily with a giant feather and fan pattern. Somehow my count strayed and the feather and fan is a little lopsided, doesn’t jive with BT’s charted extension and seems overall a little warped (or maybe that’s me). I tried taking it off the needles to get a good look. It doesn’t lay flat but of course it wouldn’t because it hasn’t been washed and blocked yet. I thought I would start it all over but then thought better of it. It really is a lovely little blanket...so far. And I do adore the color. In addition to brown, I'm a great fan of the color gray and this is an especially warm shade.


Perhaps I just need to let it alone for a while and allow it to gestate....perhaps I just need to give myself a break.

Stay tuned: More WIPs to come.

[Technical Info: Knit Picks Superwash in Squirrel Heather, Options circular needle size US 10.]

No comments: