June 21, 2008

socks, socks and more socks!


embossed leaves socks, originally uploaded by alicethelma.

I’m back on socks again, working on three pairs concurrently. You’re already familiar with the Embossed Leaves Socks that are coming along quite nicely. I finished the first sock, leaving off 8 rows but they fit perfectly. Now I hope and I pray that I will have enough yarn to finish the second one. Sally has ordered more jitterbug but said it probably wouldn’t come in until August. Aaarghhhhhh!



From my stash I grabbed the Regia that Alice had picked out months (or was it years?) ago. There’s over 200 meters in each of these balls so I figured they would make nice knee socks. Why hide those lovely colorful stripes? However, I grossly underestimated the size of the average person’s calf and again, got nervous that I wouldn’t have enough yarn. I went to the Yarn Garden (shhh) and the sales person suggested using a contrasting color on the heel and toe. Hah! I never thought of that. So I picked up the green and I’ve decided to make an “afterthought heel” – first ever. This is my own pattern if you can call it that. I’m just winging it. Stay tuned. These socks are going to be interesting.

Now to pair three: I saw a pattern called “Spring forward” in the newest issue of Knitty that promised to be an easily memorized lace pattern. Indeed it is and highly addictive to boot. No fear of running out of yarn either. This hand dyed sock yarn from Pagewood Farm yields a generous 450 yards and should make two pairs. The color is called River Rock and, combined with the undulating stitch pattern, it acutally does look like river rocks doesn’t it? It's a splendid back to nature sock.



So we’re off to California for a few weeks and I hope I have enough knitting to keep my busy. In addition to the socks, I have the clapotis – good mindless knitting when I don’ t want to think too hard.


Happy Summer!

No comments: